- 15458 (blog title)- the distance in kilometres between Ann Arbor, MI and Canberra, ACT
- ACT- Australian Capital Territory
- AFES- Australian Fellowship of Evangelical Students
- ANU- The Australian National University
- ANUSA- Australian National University Students' Association; the undergraduate association
- Belconnen- nearby suburb of Canberra
- Big W- department store, I guess
- Canberra Centre- the mall-type building where most of the stores in Civic are located
- carpark- parking lot/parking garage
- Chifley Library- main library at ANU
- Civic- the centre of Canberra
- Coles- grocery store
- Commonwealth- my bank
- Copland- building at ANU
- CITC- Crossroads in the City; Crossroads Christian Church has a church service on campus every Sunday night
- CIF- Crossroads International Fellowship; Bible study from Crossroads that takes place right before church
- Davey Lodge- the building of UniLodge in which I live
- flat- apartment
- Hancock Library- Science library at ANU
- IGA- Independent Grocers of Australia; closest grocery store to my flat
- ISIS- website to manage contact details and enrolment information for ANU
- Kiwi- person from New Zealand
- Lecturer- professor
- Manning Clark building- building at ANU where a lot of things are held because of the big lecture theatres
- Mozzies- mosquitoes
- MPH- Master of Public Health
- NSW- New South Wales (the state where Sydney is located)
- NTE- National Training Event
- OSHC- Overseas Student Health Care
- PARSA- Postgraduate and Research Students' Association
- Peter Baume- one of the buildings of the ANU medical school
- SIGN- Student Information and Guidance Network; they give the campus tours, mentoring, and lots of free gelato
- sunnies- sunglasses
- Supabarn- grocery store
- Tassie- Tasmania; island state of Australia that all Aussies make fun of
- Toad- Hall were some of my friends live
- UNSW- University of New South Wales
- UTS- University Technology, Sydney
- Uni(s)- university/universities
- UniLodge- a company of buildings that are for students; the ones at ANU are affiliated with the university, but they are not at many other universities
- Union Court- the centre of campus, where there are some organization offices, cafes, stores, etc
- WA- Western Australia (the state where Perth is located)
- Wattle- class website with course outlines, readings, discussion forums, etc
- Westfield- mall in Belconnen
Chronicles of my life- starting as an ANU student to my struggles to get back for my wedding to the start of the next chapter of life!
27 July 2012
Glossary
I realised that I use a lot of words that are Aussie/Canberra/ANU slang. I usually try to explain what they are at least once, but I though it'd probably be helpful to have an easy reference post. Let me know in the comments if I forget any.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I knew some of these!
ReplyDeleteIf you've been reading my blog, you should know most (if not all) of them. :P
Delete