26 July 2012

"They're coming to Canberra to get old and die!"

This morning was rather lazy because I didn't have class until 3. I made lunch and showered. Nothing too exciting.

At 3, I had class in the Peter Baume medical school building. It was Contemporary Issues in Public Health. I think I'm really going to like the class. The lecturer, Paul, was easy to understand and didn't seem scatter brained. We also picked topics that will be interesting to us as a class, and then he will take those topics and base the class off of those. The Wattle page said that there are 37 people registered for the class, but there was about 20 students there today.

One of the topics that was brought up in class today was an aging population, so Paul said the quote that I used for my title. It seems kinda funny because Canberra is the coldest part of Australia, and back in the US all the old people go to Florida because it is warm. I guess he said that Canberra has better health care or something. I really like Canberra, though. It's still a pretty big city, but it's actually pretty quiet too.

I also remembered my favourite quote today, which is from the movie "The Last Big Attraction." The Last Big Attraction was a movie made by someone from Holland, MI and the main character works at Windmill Island and it's going to get shut down because not enough tourists are coming. It sounds dumb when I explain it, but it's actually really funny. Anyway, there is one girl from Wisconsin that comes to work at Windmill Island for the summer because she just loves it so much. It's full of great memories from her childhood. She says, "I guess some people are lucky enough to be born in the right places; others have to find it." She was telling the main character that he was so lucky to have been born in Holland, MI to the family that runs Windmill Island and that she had to find her way to Holland. I always identified with the former group, as someone that was born in the right place. I love Holland and up until about a year and a half ago, it was my dream to buy back my "blue house" in Holland. Now I definitely think that I'm part of the latter group. I still love Holland, but I don't think that it's the right place for me any more. That sense of being home has transferred from Holland to somewhere else. (hint, hint: it's Australia)

Any way, that's enough of analysing my life. After class, I made a quick stop to IGA before I went home. I wanted to get some chicken wings so that I could eat some of my hot sauce that my parents sent me! I usually cook my wings in the oven, but we don't have one in the flat. There is one in the common area, but I don't want to use that one. I just cooked them on the stove, which wasn't too difficult, actually. I was worried that I'd just fry them to the pan and not cook the middle, but I used a different burner and it was fine. I did have the tough decision of which hot sauce to use, though. It was so hard to decide! I decided that it was going to be one of the b-dubs sauces because I like those on wings better and Frank's with chicken breasts more. Then it was hard to decide between medium and spicy garlic. I went with medium, though. It was a tough call.

I'm not really sure what else I did tonight. I did make a facebook group for ANU MPH, though. Paul commented in class on how there is no facebook group and I thought it was kind of weird. That's about the extent of my excitement today.

2 comments:

  1. You think the ageing population is hard for you? Think of how hard it is for the actuaries who have to deal with the life insurance and annuities! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are going to be the teacher's pet! I am glad to hear you are liking your classes.

    Love ya,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete