We had to log in and add our group on the website. I somehow ended up as team leader and chose the name Koala for our team. I like koalas. We were allowed to add one other person with a smartphone as a smartphone user so that they could also upload pictures and answer the questions that the site gave us. We picked Janice because her phone was the fastest. It was a good thing, too, because my phone was being weird. It wasn't allowing me to scroll down through the website to see the different questions. My phone wasn't the only one that wasn't working, though. A lot of them had technical difficulties. I also don't have issues with any other site, so I'm not sure what was wrong.
After a while, we got them all sorted, or at least enough that each team had at least one phone that worked. We answered a few questions while sitting in the room, because we knew the answers and didn't actually have to go and find them. Then we headed off to look for things. Bec made a small side trip to get some enrolment forms before meeting back with us. We had to go all over campus to take some pictures or find different things to count or statues. We had some interesting adventures: we got lost trying to find the Classics Museum for the Aztec Calendar; we tried asking people at the enrolment where one thing that we had a picture of was located, and he told us to go to Chifley on the second floor to find his friend Shawn, which we did and then he proceeded to google the answer for us; and we called the general enquiries number to find out what animal guards the stairs at Gould, which is apparently a bear. It was all good fun, but the one thing that no one knew what we were talking about was the sculpture of two doughnuts...
At 12, the quest was over and we returned back to Copland to get free food. The women running the event were impressed by our resourcefulness. I made sure to ask them where the heck those doughnuts were, though. Everyone seemed so confused when we asked them. I mean, a statue of two doughnuts is something you'd remember seeing, right? Well apparently they are in the international sculpture garden, which is kind of at one of the ends of campus. The doughnuts are part of a sculpture that is called Common Food. Here's a link to a picture I found online of the statues. http://www.flickr.com/photos/archivesact/5816725651/in/set-72157626831895559/
They had a bunch of subway subs for us for lunch. Our team ended up in second place, so we didn't win a prize. The first place team had two phones, though. Ko didn't participate in the quest, but he met up with us when we were eating. They had a bunch of leftover food, so Bec and Angela took a bunch back to Toad Hall, which is the residence hall where they are staying. They dropped those off and I went back up to my flat quickly before meeting up again. The four of us, Janice, Bec, Ko, and I, decided to all head to Civic together. Civic is the name of downtown/Canberra Centre.
We went to Aldi to pick up a few things. Then Janice had to go to ANZ to pay for her housing. There was something weird about it, so she had to then go to Commonwealth Bank to deposit the money there. It was an extra step that we had to do since we wanted to go back to Civic, but it didn't matter. She didn't want to carry around that much money. I also had to go to Commonwealth anyway since I had to add my mobile number. I got my mobile after I set up my bank account, but for security reasons, I couldn't just add my mobile online. I had to either do it on the phone or at one of the branches. It was just easier to do it at a branch than it is on the phone.
After the bank, we went back to Civic. Bec wanted to check out SupaBarn. She wanted to see if they had any of the rewards cards, since they were out the other day when she went there. I bought some food. They had cheddar shapes! And they were $1.60 cheaper than the ANU Union store! I'm not sure why the heck I wasn't shopping there before, either. They didn't have any of the rewards cards, and told us to come back in a few days to check. How annoying!
On the way back, we stopped by a MyWay store. MyWay is the bus card for Canberra public transportation. Ko invited us to a picnic that his friend is having in Belconnen tomorrow for lunch, so we'll have to take the bus there.
After Civic, we just went back to our flats for a bit. I went online and ate some chicken and green beans for dinner. I had also emailed my lecturer earlier today to find out when my last class that wasn't on the timetable online was and where it was located. I got a response back right away, and found out that it overlaps with one of my core classes for an hour. I was finally able to check it out online when I got back, and realized that it should be fine if I can't make that one hour sometimes. I may have to go back and forth between classes or something. That hour is the lecture and I will still be able to make it to the tute on time. The lecture is supposed to always be online, soI should be fine.
The final orientation week event was tonight at 6. They were playing 'The Avengers' in Coombs Lecture Theatre. There is a film club that puts on movies quite often, with some membership thing, and they actually have a big screen and a real movie projector in that room. Since Bec and I live near each other, we decided to meet up and walk over there together. We got a little lost, since neither of us have really been over that way on campus, but especially not at night. We did end up getting pretty close and then we asked someone who was also going there for directions, so she said just to follow her.
When we got there, they gave out free popcorn/chewy bars/cheese puffs. I had brought some Haribo gummy bears, though. I did get some free cheese puffs for later, don't worry mom, I always get the free stuff. The movie was pretty good, although it's not usually my kind of movie. Although, since it was free, that makes it my kind of movie! Plus, my friends were going.
After the movie, we were going to walk back with this guy that Bec knows who lives in Toad Hall also. Then he showed us the building next to the movie where his office is located, he is a PhD student and they all get their own office. It was kinda weird, but whatever. Then he helped us find our way back to our flats. I came back and started writing this blog. Nothing too exciting after that, but now I'm exhausted.
Here's the link to my pictures today:
No comments:
Post a Comment