I went back up to my room for a bit. I activated my debit card, but for some reason it wouldn't let me pick a PIN and didn't tell me what mine was. I also couldn't put my mobile number into the system online, so I'll have to go in to the bank tomorrow or something. I didn't have my mobile number in before because I set up my bank account before I got my mobile. They listed some number that I could call, but when I did, I didn't have time to deal with it before my next orientation event and I figured it would just be easier and less frustrating to go into the bank to change my details.
Next, I had to go to campus for the MPH meeting. I met with Janice by the bike racks at ANU bar, and we went to find the Peter Baume building, where the meeting was located. We got a little lost. We made it to the correct building, well kind of. We got to 42, and it was supposed to be 42a. We could just take a walkway upstairs that connected the buildings, though. We also got confused about where the seminar room that we were supposed to be was. Luckily, it wasn't a big building. The women in charge of the meeting stepped out and found us. Apparently we weren't the only ones late because a couple of other people were there, but none of the other MPH students that we had met.
The meeting was supposed to be a lecture from the main professor in charge of MPH, but he didn't show up. Instead, we just met with the woman individually to pick our courses for this semester and outline what we're going to take next semester. Since we are international students, it is important that we finished our degree in the time allotted, and since that's only a year and some courses are only offered one of the semesters, that's important to figure out now. She was surprised at how organized I was because I knew exactly what classes I wanted and even had a back up course for each semester. I didn't think I was really that organized. I'm used to not getting the classes that I wanted. Yay Hope College registration.
We also asked her about how big our program was. She said there's about a dozen or so students admitted to start in this semester and there was 30-something that started last semester, plus a few that started sometime before. There can't be more than like fifty total. The classes will be pretty small. The MPH program is so helpful and I'm glad that it's really small.
After we got our paper signed off, we had to wait for the enrolment office people to let us enrol. They weren't going to open until after our meeting at 3, but since the main speaker wasn't there, they opened before that for us. They were supposed to open at 2:15, but the woman in charge of enrolment didn't take our forms until 2:30. She took all of our forms at once and came back about 30 minutes later after enroling all of us.
Janice and I then went over to Chifley, the library, to get our student cards. I feel all official now, like a real student with access to buildings and ID and stuff!
We then wanted to meet up with Bec. SIGN was having another mentor/mentee event where we could get free coffee or gelato at the Music building. I got strawberry gelato this time. It was yummy. We sat down with Bec and a couple of other friends.
After the gelato, we went to sign up for the Campus Quest tomorrow. The Campus Quest is like a scavenger hunt around campus tomorrow morning. It should be fun, but we'll see how it goes tomorrow.
We then made a quick stop back at Chifley to activate our student cards for our printing quota. We get $44, which is the equivalent to 400 pages of printing in black and white, per semester. After that we will have to pay for printing.
Next, Bec wanted to go stop by the Business school. She is getting her Master of Business and is having difficulty trying to figure out what classes she can take. On our way over there, we stopped to take pictures of this pretty bird. I'm glad that Bec and Janice would stop to take pictures of a bird, too. It wasn't even my idea!
When we got to the business school, Bec tried to ask them questions about who she could talk to, but they weren't much help. I'm so glad that the MPH program is so helpful!
It was a little before five and our next event wasn't until six. We decided to stop by the Co-op bookstore really quickly to check it out. Then we walked past Teatro Vivaldi, where our next event was located. It was still an hour early, so we didn't go in. We decided to head over to ANU bar, which is just across Union Court. Since we still had an hour, Bec decided that she wanted to play pool. We saw Ko and Kashyap at the bar, along with their SIGN mentor. They all played pool together.
When they finished the game, it was time for the social evening at Teatro Vivaldi to begin. We went over there. They didn't have any food out at first, and we were all starving. Luckily, they brought out food at about 6:30. We kind of attacked the first guy with food that we saw. By the end of the night, we had told most of the waiters to come back by us and they all made sure that they were. We kind of had a reputation... It was a fun night and we finally took some pictures together.
Here's the link to pictures:
When I came back, I just set up my ISIS information. ISIS is the student enrolment thing, kind of like knowhopeplus at Hope College. I had to change my contact information and my bank details so that they know where to deposit the remainder of my loans after they take out my tuition. It is also where you can view your timetable, but mine is messed up. I have four classes, but only two show up on the timetable online. One of my other classes was on the sheet that we got at our meeting, and I emailed one of the program convenors to find out when and where my other lecture will be. I set up my own excel spreadsheet to get all of that information in one place.
Then I skyped with Rohan, uploaded pictures, and wrote my blog. Nothing too exciting happened after that.
No comments:
Post a Comment