23 July 2012

Vietnamese Prostitutes

Last night, I messaged Jillian asking if she wanted to skype in the morning, and she did! Yay! So I woke up this morning and got to talk to my sister and her family. We skyped via her iphone, which was interesting to say the least. The call quality wasn't very good because the video lagged a lot, but it was better quality than some of the other calls I've received... Anyway, it was great to see my sister and my niece and nephew. After watching them for a month, I got really close to them and I miss them. I guess they went to the zoo this weekend and my sister showed them the animals that live in Australia and they were all excited because that's where Aunt Caitlin is! Austin also said that he missed me because if I was there, he would be able to streetpass me on his 3DS. That kid is such a nerd. I love it!

After about an hour, I had to go to a mandatory meeting for all new residents of UniLodge. UniLodge has four different buildings and the meeting was on the fourth floor of one of the other buildings. I had never been there before, so I went on a little bit of an adventure. I looked at the map before I left my room, but I think I ended up taking the long way there. I kind of turned a bunch when I could have just gone straight down the other side of the block. Oh well, I found out where the ANU shop is, anyway. I still need to get an ANU sweatshirt.

The meeting was boring. Just basic stuff of living on campus, the facilities, the rules, other stuff they offer, meeting some of the staff, etc. The first guy that talked to us asked if we all had UniLodge as our first choice and I told him that I had received it from the ANU classifieds and he said, "oh, we just won't talk about that." I'm not really sure what that was supposed to mean. One interesting thing I learned is that ANU has the fastest internet in all of Australia, even including the Department of Defence! (that was his example...) I could tell it was good, but I didn't know it was that good!

After the meeting, I came back to my flat to read a little bit and make lunch.

At 1:30, I met up with Janice, Bec, and Kashyap. We were going in to Civic to get our proof of age cards. Well, Bec is domestic, so she was just going because she had to get something at Civic. I never got a proof of age card when I was at Murdoch, but I wish I had because I hated needing to carry around my passport for ID.

Anyway, we met at Union Court, and I had forgotten that it was Monday and classes has started. Not just that, but this week is Bush Week. Bush Week is like orientation, but there are just events put on my the undergraduate and postgraduate student associations (ANUSA and PARSA, respectively). There was a whole bunch of people in Union Court and a bunch of activities. Today's theme was birthday or something. There was an area you could get sausages, some inflatable bouncy house thingy, and some booths set up, but I'm not sure what they were for. It was seriously weird to see people besides the international students.

After we met up, we started to go down to Civic. I had no idea where this place was, so I just followed them. Big surprise, we got a little lost, but found our way there. It was in the basement of Civic Library and called Canberra Connect. It was a place that you could get a proof of age card or enquire about your Driver's License. I was expecting that we were going to have to go to a place similar to the DMV in the States, so this was very interesting to me. Kashyap and I wanted to get proof of age cards and Janice wanted to get her Singapore license converted to an Australian one. Neither of them had the correct proof of residency, though, so I was the only one that got it. It made me feel more like I'm living here rather than just here temporarily, although I guess I still am. Whatever, it made me happy.

We met up with Bec again, she went in to Civic to find something, and we went to Biginelli Cafe, at the School of Music. They had another free gelato/coffee thing for SIGN. I just really like free gelato. We sat there and just talked. We were probably supposed to meet up with our mentors or something, but we just wanted the free gelato. I got strawberry again. Yum!

After we were there for a while, we all went back home. I made a quick stop to IGA first, though. I was almost out of apple juice! That could have been a tragedy. I then had two pretty full bags and I had to pick up my box from Big W at the reception desk. I had ordered a Crock-Pot, sheets, and a pillow online. I didn't want to have to walk back to Davey with a big box from my Crock-Pot like I did with all of my other kitchen stuff, so I got it shipped this time. (I couldn't get my kitchen stuff shipped because it wasn't available to order online.) You could get free shipping if you spent over $50 and the Crock-Pot was only $30. I decided to just get my sheets and a pillow with the order so that I didn't have to carry them back and I could get the free shipping. I didn't bother getting sheets or a pillow before because I had brought my sleeping bag from home and I was using my pillow pet as a pillow.

I then read some more for my class tomorrow, did laundry so I could use my new sheets, made dinner, and showered. I can't wait to start classes tomorrow! (The readings for that class are about Vietnamese Prostitutes and HIV/AIDS. I've been reading a lot about them today, hence the title. Plus I thought it might grab people's attention. Did it work?)

2 comments:

  1. It was so fun to talk to you! The Gill family really misses you!! Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete