It was great to be able to catch up with people.
After I got a bit of my stuff organized, I tried to take a nap because I was exhausted. That didn't really work. I just laid there for about an hour until my alarm went off. I set an alarm so that I could go to the store before it got dark. The sun sets at about five and I wanted to make sure that I at least left my flat before then.
At 2:00, Craig came home from work to take me to unilodge. I wasn't supposed to check in until 3, so he was nice enough to take a late lunch so that I didn't have to wait in the lobby for a while. We got to Davey Lodge, the building of unilodge in which I am living, at about 2:30. The girl at the reception desk gave me a bunch of papers that I will need to read through and sign. She then made sure to call the cleaning people to make sure that they cleaned out my room, and let me move in. I finally got upstairs to my room a little before 3.
Davey Lodge is pretty big, but I was able to find my room just fine. I'm on the third floor, so luckily they have lifts! I'll have to do some exploring at another time to find out about the other areas, like laundry and the study rooms.
When I got to my flat, neither of my flatmates where there. They came in later, but I didn't really get more than a "hello" out of them. I think they're both from Asia and they just stay in their rooms with the doors closed. At least it'll be a quiet place for me to study once classes start!
The view out of the window in my room is of the street right in front of Davey Lodge and I get to see some office building right across the street and a carpark (aka parking garage) on the right side of my view.
My flat is a 3-bedroom multishare, meaning that I have two roommates. We each get our own rooms, but we share a kitchen, tv room/lounge, and bathrooms. We have one and a half bathrooms.
After I got a bit of my stuff organized, I tried to take a nap because I was exhausted. That didn't really work. I just laid there for about an hour until my alarm went off. I set an alarm so that I could go to the store before it got dark. The sun sets at about five and I wanted to make sure that I at least left my flat before then.
The store, IGA, is less than a five minute walk from my flat. It's right under the carpark that I can see out of my window, but on the other side of the block. I just picked up a few essentials. It isn't a huge store, so I couldn't get anything to cook with. They had cookie sheets, but my flat doesn't have an oven. I'm going to have to wait until later to get a pan, etc. I got a couple apples, a plate, soap, toilet paper (there was literally like half a roll in one bathroom and none in the other when I got here), juice, butter, and frozen green beans. I also bought some of my favourite lollies, Starburst gummies. We don't have them in the States, and it's a tragedy! I bought some limited edition ones that are Mixed Berries and they are so good! The raspberry ones remind me of this candy that my mom and I used to always get at the store when I was little. I also was looking at the prices of chicken and saw that chicken wings are less than $4/kilo and chicken breasts are like $18. I think we know what I'll be getting. (and I can't wait to get my Frank's RedHot Care Package! *wink wink, mom*)
It was rainy and dark when I got done at the store, plus my backpack was full, so I just walked back to my flat. Hopefully tomorrow I'll go on an adventure. I want to set up my bank account and get a phone at the very least. In order to get a phone, I'll have to go to the Canberra Centre, which is kinda like a mall, where I had gone a year and a half ago when I was here, so I'll probably get some other stuff that I need that I couldn't find at the IGA near my flat.
On a side note, I know my address and I have a room phone. For obvious reasons, I don't want to give it out on here, but facebook message me or email me if you want it.
Also, pictures are annoying to try to load on to my post, so here's a link to them on flickr:
All pictures I will upload will be in this collection:
These are the pictures from my first day here:
Glad to hear that things are falling into place.
ReplyDeleteYour flatmates stay in their rooms with the door shut? Hmm, seems like you have something in common ;)
ReplyDeleteSounds like you'll have an easy time getting around. Be sure to look both ways before crossing any streets, to get used to watching for vehicles on the other side of the road again!
xoxox Mom