21 August 2013

Flashbacks of high school math

I didn't do much during the day. I had my interview with Mathnasium in the afternoon and I was nervous. I definitely did a lot of calming breathing on my way there. The interview with Grace, the woman in charge, seemed really short. She basically just asked me to introduce myself and then to fill out an application form, which was weird because that wasn't online and they asked me for things like my ACT score and high school GPA. I don't remember that stuff. I graduated five years ago! She also asked me if I had anything to do after the interview or if I had time to take a math test. I figured that I didn't really have anything for a while and the other part of the interview was short so I thought that I would have time.

Then she handed me the packets. Yes, plural. There were over 90 questions on that test. I couldn't remember how to do half of them and probably just tried to work out 3/4 of them with a bit of trying to come up with some way to do them on the spot. It was also an SAT prep thing, so I couldn't use a calculator. It was horrible. I was having flashbacks of my time in high school when I absolutely hated math because I didn't know how to do it and it frustrated me beyond belief. I kept looking at the clocks in the room, which had different times by the way, and kept seeing that it was getting much later and much later. I finally tried to work through all of them, while leaving some blank because I had no idea how to do them. I just needed to leave and get out of there. Plus we had dinner plans. My dad figured that I would be done by 5, since my interview was at 4, and so he went out in the parking lot after he was done working to wait for me. I finally got out to the car around 6:30. Yes, the math test took me about 2 hours to complete, if not more. It was perhaps one of the worst experience with math that I've ever had, especially since I've loved it ever since I started at Hope and realised that I was actually good at it. This made me wonder.

We went home and had to quickly change to go out and meet the Shaheens. My mom was having dinner out with friends, so she met up with us a little later. We were going to Bill's Beer Garden. It's a good thing that I'm so adamantly against drinking because I felt like I needed a drink after that math test. We ate at the food carts next door first. I got a chicken quesadilla and a strawberry Mexican soda. I also tried a bit of the barbacoa that Jacki got that was made with goat because I had never eaten goat before. I expected it to taste kind of like lamb and it did. My dad got a pizza and the Shaheens also got a pizza.

When we finished eating, we went over to the Beer Garden to hang out for a while. My mom came shortly after we got over there. After that, we went to go get ice cream. Since I don't drink alcohol, that was my way of drowning my sorrows from feeling like a failure at math. We decided to go to Kilwins since it was nearby. I really wanted to get cookies and cream, but they didn't have it! What kind of ice cream place doesn't have cookies and cream?! I had to settle for getting a big thing of mint chocolate chip. Lee Anne also had a Groupon for fudge from Kilwins, so she let us have one of her two pieces. My mom doesn't really eat fudge, so really it was for me. I got chocolate with peanut butter, which is my favourite flavour of fudge.

Then we went home and I don't remember what else we did because I'm writing this the next day. It must not have been too exciting. I just know that we didn't watch So You Think You Can Dance, so we must have been doing something. Maybe it was just that everyone had gone to bed early and I wasn't allowed to watch it without my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment