We went to the computer lab so that I could print the Qualitative readings for next week. Then we went to one of the study rooms. We have an assignment due on Wednesday, so we decided to have a group study session. It consisted of Janice, Monisha, Karemah, Ayush, and myself. Ayush didn't feel well and left early, though. We did get some studying done, but we also had some interesting conversations.
- People are scared of what they say around me because they might end up on my blog... you have been warned! :)
- I said that Janice liked food and that's how Karemah could repay her for an article that she found or something. Then Ayush asked who didn't like food. Karemah said that she knew a few people. I said that I don't like food, but I don't think he heard me. He asked "are they people? Real people?" Yes, Ayush, I am a real person.
- Janice got her big box of little bags of crisps out from her flat for us to eat while studying. She was eating the bacon and cheddar cheetos. Then Karemah tried one and thought that they were as nasty as I did! Then we got to discussing chicken crisps, which are weird too. Then Janice said that she is used to weird flavours because she's from Asia. Then she was telling us about how they have Marmite flavoured crisps in London. To which Karemah responded, "and they actually sell it expecting to make a profit?" I've never actually had Marmite, but I heard it tastes like vegemite. I think I'll stick with salt and vinegar. Anyway, Janice looked Marmite crisps up online and said that you can order them and they deliver. Karemah and I joked that it isn't hard for them to deliver when they only have 5 customers and that they should feed you them too. They should treat those handful of people really well.
- I said that Janice was my stalker because she always wants to hug me and gets sad if she can't see me everyday. She claimed that she was not a stalker, but had a lot of "social friends." Apparently that's what they're calling it these days. I've been a "social friend" to quite a few people.
- Karemah wanted to take some pictures. She got out her phone and started taking some. Then Janice asked why she was taking them on there and asked where her camera was. To which I responded, "on the phone..." Welcome to the 21st century, Janice. And here I was, thinking Singapore is an advanced society!
- Janice was going to take a picture of Karemah, but she pressed the wrong button and got out of the camera app. I was like, seriously, Janice? To which she responded, "I use Apple!" Then I said that maybe she could use my phone since it's a Samsung and they steal Apple's technology. Oh how I wish they really had paid the lawsuit in nickels!
- The painting on the wall looked like colourful sperm. Seriously. They all thought that I was crazy or reading about condoms too much. Karemah tried to convince me that I should have thought they looked like spoons. Spoons don't taper off at the end like that. The tail on sperm does, though. I took embryology as part of my biology minor and I had to draw and label a diagram of sperm too much to not think that. (My mom is a biologist and I think that she would have thought that it looks like sperm too.)
- Apparently the dynamics between Janice and I are hilarious and we need our own reality tv show. Jan and Cate don't hate. (I'm not sure if that's how I would spell it. I like the spelling Kate better, but my name is with a C. I just don't like to be called Kate anyway, so it doesn't matter.) It just makes me think of the show Jon and Kate plus 8, and we know how that ended. (Well, if you don't, Jon and Kate actually got divorced...)
- Also, apparently the Caribbean still thinks of America as the land of opportunity. They should really read the book That Used To Be Us. Actually, all Americans should read that book, too. I had to read it for my sociology major capstone class, and it is amazing. Seriously. Go read it. Now.
- Finally, Karemah schooled me on American politics. I loved politics up until the horrible loss to Obama. I took that really hard because I was invested in the McCain campaign because I "volunteered" for it. I put that in quotes because I had to volunteer for one of the campaigns for a class that I was taking at the time. Anyway, I'm a horrible American and I haven't been paying any attention to the election currently happening. I didn't even know that this week was the Republican National Convention. Oops. Apparently the people in the Caribbean pay close attention to US politics. At least that's what Karemah said. Americans could learn from that.
I just realized that my post makes it look like we didn't do any studying. I swear we were productive at times.
When I got back, I went online and reheated my stuff from last night. The beef was still hit or miss. I think it was just bad quality and the fattier pieces were making me feel sick. I also skyped with Rohan for a bit before he went off to youth group, where he's a leader.
On an unrelated note, happy anniversary mom and dad!
There was also a poor undergrad that was in the study room with us. Poor girl had to listen to all of our weird conversations about HIV, condoms, prostitutes, and other miscellaneous things. Janice kept offering her food and explained to her why we had such strange conversations. We're MPH students, it's normal for us!
ReplyDelete