12 August 2012

Green Tea ice cream

Today was a slow start. I have a problem with getting to bed at a reasonable time. I can blame the two hour time difference to Perth for that! Or I could blame Rohan, but I don't think that he'd like that very much. Oh and apparently I'm supposed to say something overly cheesy/lovey dovey about him when I say that I'm talking to him. He was pretending to be upset over the fact that I talk about Janice throughout my blog, but he only had like one sentence that said I was talking to him. Now I don't remember what adjectives I'm supposed to use, though. (Sorry, honey!)

When I finally did get up, I got ready and went downstairs. We were originally going to go to Dickson, a suburb of Canberra, to get roast duck. Well, a few people backed out because they have too much work to do and going to Dickson would take too much time out of the day. Then late last night, we decided that we'd just go to Civic instead, but most people still didn't go. It was just Janice, Ko, and I. We decided to meet in Davey. Ko decided to invite his friend, Lisa, who also lived in Davey, to go with us. I think she's the first person that I've actually met from Davey. They all pretty much keep to themselves.

We started walking to Civic, not really knowing where we wanted to eat. Then we decided to go to Nando's. I had never eaten there, but I have had their sauce. When I was at Murdoch, their sauce was the kind that I would get before my parents sent me some Frank's. I also got some when I first got to Canberra, before the care package from my parents arrived. I haven't opened it yet, though.

Anyway, it was awesome. I got grilled chicken tenderloins in mild sauce with peri peri chips, as in french fries, not crisps. Janice wouldn't let me get anything hotter than the mild, but I did sneak a little bit of the medium and extra hot to try them. So good! I just looked at the wikipedia page, and apparently Nando's started in South Africa and has a lot of restaurants all over the world. I didn't think that we had any in America because I had never heard of it before going to Perth, but apparently there are 8 in the US. They're just not anywhere that I've been.

Janice then wanted to make a quick stop at SupaBarn. We were already at Canberra Centre, so it wasn't out of our way. She wanted to see if they had these brownies that they have in the Toad Hall vending machines, figuring that they'd be cheaper to buy in a pack. They were actually like a dollar more for six than it would be to buy six of them from the vending machine. She still got a box, though, in case they run out in the vending machine. She also wanted to get ice cream to go with her brownies. I found one kind that I had to try, which was Cadbury Caramello. I love to eat the caramello koalas. The ice cream is seriously so good! We also made a quick stop at Top Bargain before heading home.

When I got to my flat, I had to take a nap. I was exhausted and knew if I didn't take one, there was no way that I would be able to stay awake during CIF and CitC.

At 4:30, I went to CIF. To introduce ourselves at the table where we were sitting, we were supposed to share our favourite Olympics moment. Ummm... since I don't watch sport, the Olympics included, I went with watching the medal count. Bec has a bet that the US will win overall medal count, so at least that's kind of exciting to me. Maybe. Kinda. Not really, but relatively.

We also had a rock, paper, scissors competition between everyone. I'm almost always the first person out, but for some reason I got second today. I lost the one time that I didn't pick scissors! Also, here they say it differently. They say scissors, paper, rock. Not really sure why it's different, especially since the person introducing it said "rock, paper, scissors."

Anyway, then we prayed and talked about the Bible and stuff. Then we ate dinner and we talked. Jo commented about how she doesn't feel like she has anything to ask me because my blog is so thorough. I guess I do go in to a lot of detail, but really I'm keeping it for myself because I'll want to look back on this at a later time to remember everything. Everyone else that reads it is just a secondary thought. Everyone else is apparently a lot of people, though. I thought it'd just be like my family back home and Rohan that read this, but people keep telling me that they read it. I don't care, it's just surprising. I wish more people would on it comment, though. *hint hint!

There is about a half hour break between when we finish eating and when CitC starts. We had some interesting conversations at that time. Jo was kind of disgusted by this green tea ice cream that someone was eating. Jo tried it and apparently it tastes like green tea with milk in it. Who would have thought, since you know, ice cream is pretty much the same thing as milk. She also asked me if I like coffee because I'm American and someone else seemed to think that was racist. That lead to someone asking how you can be racist toward Americans. Then Jo used the example of if we ride fat people to school. I'm pretty sure that Americans are REALLY easy to make fun of! Right, Rohan?

I was introduced to a bunch more people and I feel like there were probably more interesting conversations that I don't remember now.

Then CitC started. We first said prayers for this one guy that was going to Malta for ministry or something. The pastor invited people to come down to lay a hand on him while we prayed for him, and it was funny because there were probably like 10 people, so they just ended up kind of grouping around him. We also sang happy birthday to the pastor who gave the sermon today because he turned 50 today.

After church, I didn't really stay. I wanted to get back to do some more reading. This week's reading for Qualitative is actually interesting! It's more about the ethical implications of qualitative research. The paper that I just finished was about child prostitutes in Thailand. It was both incredibly interesting and incredibly sad. Now I just have to read one more paper for Qualitative before going to bed.

5 comments:

  1. Comment comment comment comment comment! Comment comment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that was exactly what I want people to comment! *rolls eyes

      Delete
  2. Caitlin,
    I have read your blog since you had surgery. I enjoy reading about your exploits and learning about a place I have never been. Thank you for writing!

    Betsy (your mom's friend from grad school)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CCG - There are a lot of Blog stalkers out there (like me sometimes). I really enjoy reading your Blog, but many times just don't have anything witty to say or it has already been said - and we chat so many other times we are already keeping up.

    I am so glad you are having fun. Have you had any tests at school yet?

    I will try to comment more...

    Love,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Seed,

      We don't have any tests in MPH, or at least not in the classes I'm taking now, just a bunch of papers. We don't even have final exams. Although I'm not sure if I'll have any for my classes next semester. My first paper is due next Monday.

      Delete