18 March 2013

That awkward moment when... you're me!

Abstract:
Today was Rohan's birthday. I did a lot of running around trying to prepare for it. Then I went to Belconnen to celebrate.

I woke up this morning and had to go do a bunch of stuff to get ready for Rohan's birthday. I needed to go to the Canberra Centre first. I needed to look for his present from his sister, Justine. She messaged me a few days ago asking if I could go and get Rohan's present for her. She wanted to get him an ice cream machine. I went all around the Canberra Centre and there weren't many in stock. Target didn't have one I wanted, Myer only had a really expensive one, David Jones was out of stock, and Big W was out of stock of the one that I wanted to get, but they also had another one. To be fair, Myer and David Jones also had this one, but I wanted to see if there was one I liked better.

I then went to Supabarn to get the ingredients that I didn't already have to make Rohan's cake. When I asked him on Saturday what kind he wanted, he said he didn't care. Then he said that he was thinking apple tea cake, but said I didn't have to make that. Well, of course I did if I could! It was his birthday, after all! I messaged his mum, and then sisters, to get the recipe.

Before heading home, I also made a return stock to the tie store to buy Rohan a bow tie. That was his second present, because his first present hasn't arrived yet. (Part one of that awkward moment when... your boyfriend's birthday present doesn't arrive by his birthday) International postage sucks! I told him what it is, though. It's a set of playing cards with tips on how to be a gentleman on them. He thought they were pretty cool, so I can't wait for them to arrive.

Then I took a nap before wrapping his presents and making the cake. That was when I realised that I'm dumb. I went to wrap them, thinking that I had bought silver wrapping paper. Nope. It was clear. Then I looked at the label and it said "cello gift wrap." Duh. (Part two of that awkward moment when...) I'm still not sure why anyone would want clear wrapping paper, but whatever. I had to figure out something else because I wasn't going to go back to the store to buy more paper. I decided to go the ghetto route and use the pages from a Canberra visitor guide that I had from last year. At least it ended up being pretty. Plus I had purple ribbon to put on it. Purple is Rohan's favourite colour.

Next I made the cake. I've never had apple tea cake before, and obviously I've never tried it before, so it was a new experience for me. I think it went alright. I wasn't exactly sure what to do with the apple, so I chopped up some real small and put them in the cake and then I put some on top. I went downstairs to cook it in the full oven. That was also an adventure. The things that say what temperature and type of oven it's set to were worn off. At least it ended up cooking through because the toothpicks came out clean. Yay!

The cake took longer than expected, so I was then in a rush to get back upstairs, grab my stuff, and catch the bus. I was about five minutes away when I wasn't sure if I had left the oven on or turned it off. (Part three of that awkward moment when...) At that point, I texted Janice. It's a good thing that I was baking it in the common room oven!

I got to Rohan's place. I gave him his presents. Then we went to get dinner at that Italian place. It was yummy again. I love Italian. I just drank water with dinner and Rohan was shocked. People are always shocked when I drink water. Then we went to drop off our leftovers at his flat, which I forgot to take home when I left, before we went to get dessert.

We were going to go to Gelatissimo. Rohan had a coupon for buy one get one free that he wanted to get from his flat. He was looking all over for it, but couldn't find it. Then he realised that he dropped a piece of paper down the side of his desk between the wall earlier today. We got a torch and, sure enough, it was the coupon. We tried to use cardboard to get it out, but that didn't work. Rohan's desk was also too heavy to just move, so we couldn't do that either. Eventually, Rohan got under his desk and pushed up while I grabbed the coupon. It was quite funny.

After getting the coupon, we went to get our gelato. I got raspberry and he got rockmelon. I told him about the rockmelon and salmonella thing. Then we went back to his place for a while. We ate the cake, which wasn't my favourite but I've never eaten it before so I don't know how it tasted in comparison. Then I went home, cleaned a little bit, showered, and wrote this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment