13 March 2013

"The honour of the cucumber must be restored!"- girl in Outbreak Investigation

Abstract:
Intensive day 2. Food outbreaks.

I woke up today really sad. I had a bad dream and it made me really miss my niece and nephew. Then I was kind of hurried to get ready for class because I had hit snooze quite a bit. At least I hadn't unpacked my backpack, so I could just grab it and go. I met the girls to walk over to class again, but I was pretty quiet because I was still depressed from my dream.

The topic for today's class was food-borne outbreaks. We worked through a case study that was an outbreak of salmonella with the source being rock melon, or cantaloupe. Food-borne outbreaks are funny because then people won't eat that food even if there is no outbreak or very little risk to them. For example, last year, they served rock melon on this day and no one ate it. Also, there's a listeria outbreak currently in cheese and Karemah wouldn't eat the cheese on her lunch. Although, in reality, if it had been contaminated, it would have cross-contaminated the rest of her lunch as well. The title relates to this issue. Someone from somewhere in Europe or something said it because they exported a lot of cucumbers but no one was eating them any more because of some outbreak.

I liked talking about food-borne illnesses, though, because I got to share about my norovirus story and Hope being closed down. It's pretty epic. It was fun to share what had happened with us and how we were dealing with it. I'm going to wear my norovirus outbreak shirt tomorrow to class so that I can show Karemah and others.

After class, I went home and took a nap. I really did not feel as tired as yesterday, but I fell back asleep after my alarms and didn't wake up until about 8. Oops. At least I'm still tired now, so I'll be able to sleep again. I also ate leftovers and watched another movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment