21 March 2013

The McDonald's approach to health?

Abstract:
I went to FOCUS. I went to class. Australian politics are weird. Also, Paul is confusing. I REALLY wanted hot wings.

The first thing that I did today was go to FOCUS. I'm pretty lazy because I didn't even have time to eat lunch before I went there. Actually, that's a lie. I decided that I am going to the CIF Easter weekend camp, so I registered for that and THEN I went to FOCUS. The Bible passage that we focused on was right after Jesus rose from the dead. At one point, it talks about him breathing the Holy Spirit into his disciples and I pictured the tongues of fire from Pentecost and then Jesus was breathing fire and it kind of made me giggle in my head. Sometimes I have a weird mind. Ok, I always have a weird mind!

Then I ran home to eat some lunch before going to class. Before class started, this girl in front of me was telling another student that there was some leadership "spill" thing and there was going to be a vote for the Australian Prime Minister at 4:30. I didn't understand what they were talking about and, after reading the wikipedia page, I still don't really understand it. I guess when the party seems to be going a way that the leaders of the party don't like, they can appoint a new leader or something. I just don't get it. That type of thing would never happen in America, but apparently it happens frequently here. I guess it happened a few months before the last election and then there is another election later this year.

Class was from 3-6, so many people were checking their phones during the first part of class. The first part of class was just group discussions. That's when another student told me that the ACT government was looking at McDonald's as inspiration to improve their healthcare system. Yeah, I was as confused as you probably are. Apparently the McDonald's in the ACT are interconnected so that if one runs out of something, they can contact another maccas. They're trying to do the same thing with the healthcare systems/hospitals here. That makes a lot more sense than taking health advise from a fast food chain!

For the second part of class, we had someone else come in and gave us a lecture. It was funny because her lecture was on the difference in healthcare between the Rudd government and the Gillard government. For those who don't know, Kevin Rudd was the Prime Minister before Julia Gillard, who is the current one. People were also trying to get Rudd to run against Gillard in the spill thing. Oh and another part of this lecture was funny because the guest lecturer brought someone with her to keep her updated on the spill. His job was to let her know if anything happened. Apparently Gillard was unchallenged and remains the Prime Minister. It's kind of weird that all of that was happened just across the lake on Capital Hill!

Then at the end of class, Andrew, one of our lecturers, was going over the minor assignment that is supposed to be due on Wednesday, although we get a one week extension without request. What he was explaining was COMPLETELY different from what Paul explained throughout the entire semester, although that changed week to week. To be honest, Andrew's version seemed a lot more like Master's level work than what Paul was saying. But, none the less, everyone was really confused. Particularly the first semester people. The second semester students had Paul before and we knew that he doesn't give clear instructions for what he wants for our assignments. It was an entire mess because Paul is in Geneva, Switzerland for about a month for work. Andrew said that he'll contact Paul and then let us know on Sunday what they want. I'm thinking that they'll have to extend it because of all the confusion they caused us!

After class, I went to IGA because I wanted to eat hot wings for dinner and I didn't have any at home. I got there and they didn't have any wings! What the heck! I debated how much I wanted them, since it had been raining and was crappy outside, but I decided that I REALLY wanted hot wings. I walked all the way to Supabarn. At least I got more than just the wings, though. I had to justify it somehow! I came back, made wings, and watched tv while I ate.

No comments:

Post a Comment