Abstract:
enrolment; call from Calvary- what the heck just happened?!; interview tomorrow; I look all grown-up!; where have all the children gone?; Finally! Some secondary maths!; Quidditch is pretty awesome; I don't like crossing the street; Harry Potter!
This morning was chill. I was lazy, big surprise. I also emailed Paul to figure out how to add classes. The enrolment thing is now available, but we need to get permission codes or something to add the classes ourselves. I also had a question about which classes I could take because of issues with intensive courses and one of the classes only being offered in the autumn session, which is like half the semester. I'm still waiting for him to email me back. We have until the semester starts or something to register for classes, so I'm not worried too much about getting it done now. I just like to have things planned and know what I'm doing. I guess it wouldn't matter too much, though, since the website doesn't even have the timetables up for each class anyway.
Then I took a shower and started getting ready for work when I received a phone call. It was from a number that I didn't know, but I answered it anyway. It was a man from Calvary Hospital. He said that he is the communications manager there and that he received my resume. I had sent it to the woman in charge of volunteering at Calvary and I guess she forwarded him the letter. I had told her that I was getting my MPH and that I had an interest in health promotion.
He called to let me know that they had a position open for an intern in the communications and health promotion area and was wondering if I would be interested in paid work instead of volunteering. He is going to have a week off from work I think starting tomorrow, but since I told him that I was going to Perth before he would be back, we decided to meet tomorrow. I seriously had no idea what was happening. I think I probably didn't sound as enthusiastic as I should have, but I was completely taken by surprise. I'll have to make a really good impression tomorrow. At least I got adult clothes yesterday!
Then I finished getting ready and went off to the bus stop. I saw Janice and Heesook on my way there. I tried to wave at them, but they didn't see me at first. I think it was probably because I looked like an adult. Well, as much as I can. Heesook commented on how different I looked.
I waited for the bus, which was late. It was also really windy today and quite a bit chilly. I was disappointed. I wished that I had worn by black pants because I was cold, but I also just got the skirt so I wanted to wear it. The bus finally came and I went to Kaleen. I had to wait a while for anyone else to show up, again, because the bus gets there like 30 minutes early.
For the first session, I was supposed to do something called 'Read with kids.' I was supposed to just take one kid at a time from any group of two children to one tutor and then read with them. Well I did that with one girl. Then I talked to the other tutor that was also doing Read with kids because she was supposed to give me tips or something. Well when it came to get my second kid, there was a problem. Three kids didn't show up today, so all of the other kids were one-to-one with a tutor! The other tutor that I was talking to took one of the kids from the group that she was just working with and helped show me what she does with the little kids.
For the second session, I worked with two girls, who I believe were both in year 10. One of them was completely done with everything. She finished her exams last Tuesday. I didn't know what to do with her, so she read a book out loud. Also, she told us that before she started at Big Improvement, she was getting Ds in math, but then this year she got an A. Now that's a "big improvement!"
The second girl needed help with percentages. I tried to explain it to her one way, but she didn't understand it. Then she showed me the way that they are learning it with her book. I had never seen that before, but I figured out what they were doing and I think I may have helped her. She at least seemed to understand it. When I met with her mum, she wanted her daughter to explain it to her later, so I guess that'll be the real test to see if she understands it.
During the second session, the girls were talking about different things. At one point, the second girl commented that she was sounding really nerdy. I told her that she had no idea how nerdy I was, so I used the fact that I started a quidditch club as my example. Both girls told me that it wasn't nerdy, just awesome. I knew I liked these girls! (None of the kids at Upward Bound ever seemed to have any idea what quidditch was)
I also found out today that Michael wasn't kidding when he said that I had more tutoring experience than him. He said that he tutored for two years. I have been a tutor for four semesters and then I'm a tutor now. He's a teacher, though, so he's definitely had way more experience teaching kids.
Then I was about to leave when Michael asked if anyone was going toward the city that would give me a ride. There was actually another tutor that lives at Unilodge, but in one of the other buildings. We were both going to take the bus, when Michael asked someone else. She gave us a ride part of the way there and then we could take another bus. We didn't have to wait forever for the bus to come at the Kaleen shopping centre stop. We went to the next bus stop after she dropped us off and got a bus within just a couple of minutes.
The other tutor was making fun of me because I'm scared to just cross at zebra crossings. I don't think that we have them in America. You can just cross the street and cars have to stop for you. Well, I don't trust cars. Maybe it's just because I'm overly paranoid. In fact, I'm sure that's why, but I like to make sure that the car sees me and then stops so that I know I won't get run over. He, the other tutor, was also commenting on how he doesn't know how Americans drive on the other side of the road. Um... Americans learn the same way as everyone else... It was funny because I only ever hear my dad say stupid stuff like that.
When I got back, I made another recipe from pinterest for dinner. I also watched some tv online and some Harry Potter documentaries on youtube. They are making me really want to reread the series and rewatch the movies for the umpteenth time.
No comments:
Post a Comment