Abstract:
come on mattress people!; waiting, waiting...; nap; bus adventures; talks with Greg; Gill Christmas card; at least I don't need my fan now!; fried pickles; Harry Potter
I got nervous for my meeting that was this afternoon when I woke up. I was fine last night and I didn't start getting nervous until I received a text from Rohan asking to pray for him during his interview. Then my stomach started to hurt. I decided to just fall back asleep because I was still tired and that was the only way that I could make my stomach feel better.
In Davey, we're all getting new mattresses and my floor was supposed to get them today. I thought that I heard someone knocking on the door, so I shot right out of bed. I pulled my sheets off and went to answer the door. No one was there, so I think that I'm going crazy. That or I'm already there. Anyway, I went to lay back down on my sleeping bag so that it was easy to remove. Then someone from reception actually came at 11. He wanted to make sure that we've all stripped our beds for when the mattress people come and said they should be up on my floor in about an hour.
That was a lie. They didn't come up until 1:40! I didn't want to do anything, like cook or go to the bathroom because with my luck, they would come when I was busy. I was really hungry, though, so I had to cook. I cooked, ate, and cleaned up before they got here. Then I really had to go to the bathroom and of course, without fail, that's when they knocked on the door. Of course no one else was home. Even if they were, I'm the only one that ever opens the door, even if they're the ones expecting people. It was extremely awkward because the mattress people just came in. It only took them like five seconds to swap the mattresses, so I really should have just stayed in the bathroom and pretended that I wasn't there. It would have been less awkward.
Then I wanted to take a nap before my meeting. I like to take naps before important things so I know that I won't fall asleep or be really tired. I was waiting for the new mattresses, so I could finally take a nap. The new mattresses are really firm. I don't think that I even make a dent in them when I lay down! (Which, I know, I'm skinny, but I'm pretty sure that I've been gaining weight!) They're actually kind of too firm, but I guess I'll get used to them.
When I woke up, I had to rush to get ready to go to my meeting. I was glad that I kind of jogged part of the way and crossed the street before the light changed because I BARELY made the bus. Oops. At least I looked up other routes, so it wouldn't have been the end of the world if I had missed that one. But I literally had to jog the last 1/2 block because the bus was already stopped at the stop when I crossed the street. I'm glad that they waited for me!
I took that bus because it went directly to the main entrance of Calvary hospital. It went the round about way, though. I knew that, but I hadn't looked where exactly that was. I should have done that. It went all through campus. Then I saw a bus stop sign that said what buses went to that stop and it didn't list the 3, which was the one that I was on. It did, however, list a 13. I got nervous that I had accidentally got on the 13 instead, but I asked the driver if the bus went to Calvary and he said yes. Whew! (Funny bus story, this woman tried to get up to press the button for the bus stop when the bus suddenly turned. She went flying pretty much onto this guy's lap. Luckily the guy had this big flattened parcel box that stopped her from landing directly on him. Talk about embarrassing!)
Then we got to Calvary. It's a Catholic hospital, so they were really decorated for Christmas. They had things hanging, a tree, and a nativity scene. It was pretty. I signed in at reception and then waited for Greg, the guy I was supposed to meet, to come down.
We just sat and talked for like ten minutes. Over the phone he said something about an internship, but now he said that he doesn't even know if that's available. He told me to elaborate more on my resume, I guess he wants it longer than a page, and to write a sort of cover letter. Since it is a Catholic hospital, they focus on more than just the clinical aspects of medicine. Treating the whole person, both physically and emotionally/spiritually, is important. He wants me to put my story and show that I'm a caring person on my resume. Then I'm supposed to email it back to him and he'll circulate it around. He told me that I have plenty of time because he'll be gone for the next week and they won't have anything pop up until January or later.
Then I took the bus back. He actually told me to go to a different bus stop where more buses would come. I love that I live right in the city so that I can take just about any bus home. I'm still waiting for my parcel from Big W with my kitchen stuff and fan, so I checked my mail today. I barely ever check my mail, but I saw that there was a parcel slip, so I figured it was for me. Sadly it wasn't. I'm still waiting for my package. But I did get a Christmas card from the Gills. That made me happy again. I love that family!
When I got home, I went on pinterest for a while. Then I got really bad sharp pains in my side. I decided to just take another nap. I didn't set an alarm and, in retrospect, that was a dumb idea. I think that I fell asleep for about three or four hours. I have a problem. It is really cold, so I didn't want to get out of my sleeping bag. I was all comfortable and snug. (Also, I'm annoyed that it's summer in Australia and cold and it's winter in the US and warm. What the heck, weather!)
I eventually woke up and had to go make dinner. I made fried pickles. (I know, I didn't exactly eat very healthy today. I had bacon and mayo for lunch and fried pickles for dinner. At least I tried to have a few pieces of zucchini at lunch.) I had to improvise a little bit on the fried pickles recipe because I couldn't find everything here in the store. For example, my corn meal was actually Kellogg's Cornflakes crumbs and I had to cut my pickles into the cut that I wanted. I could only get whole dill pickles, but they were actually the little ones, not like the size that you would get at a fair or Cedar Point. I think that I should have cut them differently because the pickles were too hard/crunchy. I cut them two ways and one was clearly better. Also, the cornflakes had kind of a weird taste. The pickles were still good, but I probably could have made them better. The sauce was another story. It was DE-LICIOUS! It's a tangy mayo sauce and it was so good.
Then I found Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 online and I watched it. I felt bad because I love Harry Potter and I was watching it on a pirated site, but I don't have my DVDs here and I needed some HP in my life. (Funny side note, Calvary is on Mary Potter street. It made me laugh because it sounds like Harry Potter.)
Now I'm writing my blog and hopefully I'll be able to fall asleep despite taking a long late nap. I'm shivering so maybe curling up in my sleeping bag will make me fall asleep straight away.
So glad that you received your Christmas card and you liked it. It took exactly two weeks to get there!
ReplyDeleteIt might have taken less. I almost never check my mail. We have to ask the people at reception and it's just annoying if I don't have anything.
Delete