Abstract:
My head felt much better today; I tutored; Janice was downstairs; I ate dinner and relaxed
My head felt a lot better when I woke up today. I think that the extra sleep helped. I didn't want to get up, though. I didn't want to go tutor, but I had to.
I decided to take the later bus to work today. I wasn't sure if I would be late if I took that one, which was why I never did before. I was just on time. Actually, that's the bus that the other tutor from ANU, Leonard, also takes. I sat with him and we talked. Apparently he's trying to learn Spanish because he had like an audio thing to learn Spanish with him and so we talked about if we have to learn Spanish in America. He thought that I was fluent. I wish!
When I first got there, Michael handed me a present. Apparently the church where the tutoring is held gave all of the tutors presents. I saved it to open when I got home. It was a big box of Maltesers.
The first student that I had was a girl in, I think, year four. Whenever I gave her a maths problem she would just give me this look. Kinda like "really?" I think that's the best way that I can describe it. I'm really not sure why she was giving me that look and she never explained why, even though I always asked.
For the second session, I had one of the girls that I had last Tuesday. She finished up with school already, so we worked on some public speaking and then essay writing. For public speaking, we went outside and she read her book out loud to me. She couldn't contain her laughter when she read the part about the different lollies and she read the part about the Giant Wangdoodle. I thought that it was just because of the funny name until she added the rest of the sentence "from Australia." Of course. Everything with a weird name is always from Australia!
Then I went with Leonard to catch the bus back to ANU. He asked me what Thanksgiving was and we talked about how Detroit is a scary place. Then we talked about how much uni costs in America. Here it's practically free. He said that he doesn't have to pay back the government for like 12 years or something like that. That would be so nice. Why does the US government not value education? Add that to my list of reasons why Australia is better than America. (I don't actually have a list, but I'm pretty sure that the benefits are way more for Australia than America. I do, however, like American ketchup better. It's got that going for it!)
When I was right outside of Davey, I saw Ko walking out. I said hi to him and he told me that Janice was down in the common room. She was playing Mahjong with Heesook and some others. I had never actually seen it other than the game on the computer. The tiles looked the same, but it was a completely different game. I have no idea how you actually play it. I just went down to say hi and then I took advantage of the wifi and downloaded some stuff on my phone.
Then I went upstairs to eat dinner and waste time online. That includes starting to watch Boy Meets World. I was bored and wanted to watch something, so that's what I decided on. A spin-off is in the works, so it's made me want to watch it again. That's about it for today, but I get to see Rohan again tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment