17 April 2013

Do you want to see flies mating? (Don't worry, there's no picture...)

Abstract:
Outbreak. Fun times with Karemah. I'm an epi nerd. 

I had outbreak this morning. It was our first class after the intensive, which was about a month ago. Guess what the topic was...confounding! Seriously, if you don't understand the general concept of confounding after the amount that we've been talking about it, you probably need some one on one time with a tutor. The class was just a tutorial and we basically went over the tutorial exercise that we were supposed to do before class together. Somehow I managed to completely miss the last page, so I just did it while we were going over it. It was easy.

After class, I hung out with Karemah. She wanted to study for outbreak and epi. Basically I'm her tutor, but I don't charge her. I would charge anyone else, though. Just kidding. Well, kind of... We sat in the grass in front of Chifley. We went over the tutorial for outbreak again and then she got it. Then we just sort of sat out in the grass for a while. She had an appointment in the afternoon, so she just wanted to lay around and I had nothing better to do.

Before she left, she wanted to get Zambreros. I saw flies mating on the window, so I asked Karemah if she wanted to see flies mating. Then she said that she can't judge me about saying that and pulled out her phone. She had taken a picture of some other insects mating. Things like that are why we have become such good friends this semester. We're both so weird and have the same sense of humour. I just wish we had become better friends last semester!

When Karemah left, I went back to my flat to take a nap. I didn't have anything else that I needed to do. I checked the wattle stuff uploaded for outbreak and did the SAE for epi. For once I got them all right the first time! Then I was about to reread the chapters of epi for the quiz on Monday when I realised that I should probably do the prereading for biostats first. I literally told myself that I should read the biostats before I read the reading for fun. Wow I'm a nerd. I mean clearly I already knew that, but epi is just kind of reinforcing it.

Then I decided to send emails to my former professors at Hope telling them how I've been and thanking them for teaching me things that are actually really useful in epi, like social statistics and how to use statistical programs. Hope sociology is pretty awesome! I also emailed Paul to see about MPH research and David about possibly tutoring. That's the good thing about writing lists, it's so much easier to see what you need to accomplish, even if your sticky notes do suck and all fall off the wall within an hour of putting them up!

No comments:

Post a Comment