19 April 2013

I did Biostats and read Epi for fun on my Friday night. Isn't that what everyone does?

Abstract:
Almost froze on my way to class. Biostats. Hot chocolate with Laura. Biostats and epi for fun. Bored-> talk to mom-> freak out about the future and cry.

I was dumb and forgot to take a shower last night. As a result, I woke up to take a shower but obviously my hair didn't have time to dry and I don't have a hair dryer. It was so windy, and cold as a result, that my ears felt frozen! I have big ears, too, so it sucked!

The class I had was biostats. I sat near the door instead of where I sat last week because I knew that I was in the other tutorial group so I didn't know when I would have to leave. Karemah wanted to go sit by Chris and Pearl, though, so we moved up to the front. It ended up being fine since we had a lecture before we split up into tute groups anyway.

I had Ann-Maree as my tutor. I was all excited because I wanted to be able to prove myself in front of her. While she knows that I'm doing with in the class because she's technically the person in charge, she doesn't see me in class because she doesn't actually give the lectures and I've never had her as my tutor. She leads tutorials way differently than any of the other tutors. Usually they give us time to work out the problems, which we were just given then instead of ahead of time. Well, not Ann-Maree. We had to go around the table and answer one at a time. She didn't really give us time to think about them. As a result, I miscalculated the odds and therefore the odds ratio. I felt like an idiot. At least when it got around to me again I answered that question correctly! We finished our tutorial about an hour early, probably as a result of Ann-Maree's tutorial style.

When I met Laura, the American girl at NCEPH, on Tuesday, we made plans to go to lunch together on Friday after my class. I told her that it finished at 12, except we actually finished at 11. Luckily when I met up with her she was able to go then. We went to Vanilla Bean, the little cafe in the John Curtin Research school, and got hot chocolates. It was so cold out!

It was really nice talking to her. She also had to deal with a similar situation, so she knows my frustrations. She did her Master of Cultural Health and Medicine (MCHM), a course that overlaps a lot with the MPH but focuses more on anthro, at ANU. She also was trying to deal with immigration and moving here because she had a boyfriend, who is now her fiancĂ© and they're getting married in August. She had a different situation with visas, though, because she could get the partner visa. She applied for that in May and I think she said that it got approved in November. She'll become a PR next May, 2014, and then she hopes to do the MAE. It's funny when we were talking about it because she didn't like the MCHM and wished she did the MPH because she likes epi. We also talked a bit about Graham. Her face was funny when I mentioned him.

Then I went home and it was a pretty boring afternoon. When the biostats assignment was finally up, I did most of that before getting tired. I also reread some for epi. It's so funny that it's actually something that I enjoy on a Friday night. Most people my age probably go out to the bar or something on a Friday. Not me! I stay home and read epidemiological studies and analyse the biostatistics they use and whether or not it's a good study. Why can't I just do epi all day everyday for the rest of time?

After I worked on my biostats and epi, I got really hyper and I couldn't concentrate on them any more. I felt bored and wanted to run around or talk to someone. My mom was online, so I talked to her. Then she got me to start freaking out about my future and then I was talking to Rohan and then I started crying uncontrollably and now I'm depressed. I finally figured out what I want to do, but I can't do it, at least not right now. It's frustrating. I hate not knowing the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment