16 October 2012

Ain't no party like a Moonshine party!

When I finally dragged myself out of bed, I went online. Janice had posted a note on facebook that talked about the readings for anthro today, but it was about the ones that I had just skimmed. I decided that class would probably focus on discussion over those papers, so I started to read them again. Then I went on wattle and found out that Graham changed the due dates for our research proposal draft and final proposal. I was so happy! I tried to read the articles again, but Janice told me that she wanted me to get to class early so that we could talk about the articles.

Class was really good today. I think it was because of a variety of factors, including the articles not just focusing on HIV, the articles not being something that Graham hates, and the people that usually dominate the conversation with things that we have no idea about being gone. Also, I actually read or skimmed all of the articles for today!

There were a lot of funny and interesting things that happened, so I'll proceed with bullet points.

  • "Winnon, can I have your eyes?"- Graham; I was in the middle of explaining why I found the article on alcohol use for 14-17 year old Aussie girls interesting. Graham interrupts with that statement asking Winnon (the other American that I've talked about a few times) if he could have his eyes. We all looked at him really confused, so he explained. Winnon had printed the readings so that four pages were on one page. Graham was amazed that he can read it.
  • Winnon was guilt-tripped by his Aussie friends to register to vote for the US election here. It is mandatory for Australians to vote, so they would guilt trip him whenever they asked if he had registered.
  • Moonshine. We were talking about how alcohol can be used as social capital, which is what my favourite article this week was talking about. Winnon brought up the point that what you are drinking can show your class. He and Karemah were talking about beer versus and wine parties. I added "or moonshine." Karemah and Winnon just burst out laughing. Winnon asked me what part of the US I was from again. I said Michigan and he said something along the lines of that not being moonshine country. I explained that my friend, Caitlin, now lives in Tennessee. Also, I'm now going to be forever associated with moonshine. It'll be a running joke amongst the few of us and Graham, as my later bullet points show. (In case anyone reading this isn't familiar with moonshine, here's a video. Janice had never heard of it before.)
  • Graham grew up in Tassie and they actually taught him in schools that they rounded up and exterminated all of the Aboriginal people there. He was talking about how it is all white and Karemah and Winnon both cringed and said that maybe they didn't want to go there.
  • During the break, Karemah, Janice, and I went to The Little Pickle. We had a group hug, which was kind of awkward, since it was in the middle of The Little Pickle. (The Little Pickle is a cafe in one of the science buildings near our class.)
  • On the way back, Karemah was trying to get me to do a moonshine accent. I told her that I had to hear it first. She said that all Americans can do a moonshine accent. She asked Winnon when we got back to class, but he said he can only do it when he's talking to his parents.
  • Karemah told me to at least give her the moonshine look. I asked, "The inbred look?" It's true, that's why they look that way. Apparently I did a good impression because it made her laugh. You just need to have a vacant yet confused look on your face.
  • Karemah wrote "moonshine" on her juice bottle that she got at The Little Pickle. She claimed that it was flavoured moonshine.
  • "How do you turn a circle upside down?"- Winnon; Graham has weird diagrams and even weirder analogies. They often don't make sense, and Winnon called him out on it today. How do you turn a circle upside down? It's a circle. It's the same no matter how much you turn it...
  • Janice's glasses are Playboy... I'm not sure what that says about her...
  • Graham was explaining how the doxa (the way the world is) in Australia is egalitarian. Winnon asked, "Is it only in Australia?" He meant the egalitarian thing, but Graham thought that he meant doxa in general. No, Graham, he got that much!
  • "Taken for granted is so taken for granted, it's unquestionable"- Graham; You can't use a term in the definition of the term!
After class, Janice wanted to go to Civic to get cheesecake. Karemah joined us as well. On the way to Civic, Karemah had me talking like a valley girl. I'm not sure how exactly that started, but it was funny. I'm just like so perfect to like talk like that and stuff. I mean my voice is already all like high pitched and like I have a pink phone and like stuff like that. (Read that in a valley-girl voice please, I don't actually talk like that.)

Janice had issues finding some cheesecake that looked good, but eventually decided on getting some from a bread place. We also decided to start looking for our Halloween costumes. Our last day of class for qualitative is on 31 October and we have a presentation for our research proposal. I had the idea that it would be fun for us to dress up relating to our project. We ran it by Graham today during class and he said it was fine. Janice and I both got our costumes, although I need to get a couple more things for it. It'll be pretty awesome! I'm not going to spoil it and say what I'm going to be, though!

Karemah left from Civic to catch a ride home. Then Janice and I walked back. She went to Heesook's flat. (Heesook was formerly called Soo on my blog; I should probably start calling her by her real name since other people are now)  I just went home and took a nap. Then I just had dinner and started writing this blog. It's taken me a long time to write this one. It was such an action-packed and hilarious day! I love my friends!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are having fun....and learning. You are learning something, right?? Nice to hear you have such good friends in OZ.

    ReplyDelete