19 October 2012

Free Gelato! (next semester)

Today I had a mentor training thing for SIGN. I am going to be a mentor next semester. It's just voluntary, but it will look good on a resume. Plus we get free shirts and get to go to lunches and other events and we get to go to the gelato drop-in sessions! That is probably my biggest reason for wanting to be a mentor, not that I told that to the person in charge of the program. It was on my program evaluation as a mentee, though.

Anyway, training was at 9 this morning. It was in Menzies Library, which I had never been to before. Janice, Hui, Boon, and I met up by Melville at 8:45 to walk over there together. I think we kind of walked in a circle and we were a few minutes late, but it didn't matter because other people were late too. None of us had been to that end of campus before, besides the tour during O-week. Ko showed up to the training a little bit late, too.

The training was pretty boring because that kind of stuff always is. We had scenarios that we had to talk through and a panel of the services available at the ANU so that we can advise people toward them. Pretty standard stuff. I'm just glad that my friends were there, too. Janice always makes boring things more interesting. She just says something weird or draws something or starts to sing. It's just her personality. Here's one of her drawings from today. There was also one where Janice and Hui were taking turns drawing things on a face. It got pretty crazy, but I don't have the picture of that.


There was also this exercise with oranges where you had to get to know your orange. Then she mixed them all up and we had to go identify ours again from the whole pile. Boon and I shared because there wasn't enough oranges for everyone. He called that one first and I said I also wanted it. It was easy to identify because it had this like insect hole thing in it. It looked pretty nasty!

Also, the person providing the training showed us the feedback from SIGN this year. Janice and I were pretty sure that two of the quotes came from Bec. They were anonymous, of course, but some of the wording was exactly what Bec had said to us before when she complained about her mentor. Her mentor was horrible. She never met with her, only gave her responses as unuseful links that Bec already visited, and gave her incorrect information.

After the meeting, we all walked to Union Court. Janice made me go with her to the optical store because one of the plastic parts on the nose of her glasses came off and she wanted to see if they had anything to fix it. Unfortunately, they didn't. Then I went home. I went online for a bit before taking a nap. I wanted to sleep for longer, but I was hungry. I purposively waited to cook food until after my nap so that I would be forced to get up. I didn't get to take a nap yesterday and I didn't sleep much last night because my blog took me so long to write. So that's where I'm at now. I really want to get to bed soon because I'm still exhausted.

1 comment:

  1. Yep - I can confirm they were mine. Was giving them a piece of my mind!

    ReplyDelete