30 October 2012

"If they're too pretty, they're not girls!" -Graham

Abstract:

The printer worked; last day of anthro; Winnon the refugee; Thai transgender; class picture; civic adventures; turkey; powerpoint


I woke up late today because I went to bed late. I got ready for class and went downstairs to print my anthro essay. It's so long and it was great to be able to finish it. Other than my life view paper, which wasn't really research based although it did refer to some of our class readings, it was twice as long as my previous longest research paper. As a note to self, I will not take another elective that has a a 6000 word essay as an assessment unless I have to. I didn't realise just how long that was before this class started. Anyway, the Davey printers actually worked today! Yay! I went to Hancock to staple my papers and then I just waited outside of our classroom until Janice came.

Today was our last day of class. It was great because I won't have anthro any more!!! Woo! Before class, Graham gave Janice and me our research proposals for qualitative back and he talked to me before class. (He talked to her during the break.) He said that I had a few things to fix for wording and such and said that my paper wasn't a 95 but it wasn't a 65 either. Thanks, Graham, that's really a small range! He also said that he really liked my title "Marathons to Meatless: placing health as a priority." Now Janice keeps trying to get me to come up with one for her.

We only had five students, including me, in class today. We had a few interesting topics of conversation, as we always do.


  • Winnon's refugee plan; We were talking about visas and the structural violence that make it so difficult to obtain anything permanently. His anthro essay was about refugees trying to get in to Australia. He was complaining about trying to get a visa and he was saying that maybe he should be a refugee. He is also American, so I was asking him how he was planning on becoming a refugee from America. He said that he was hoping that America would have some kind of major fall and then the Australian government would take pity on him. For some reason, I don't think that something big enough to allow Americans to be refugees will happen any time soon.
  • "No $#!+ research"; I don't swear, in life or this blog, but this was funny. It's what Tegan was saying about the articles that we had to read for class today. They were talking about depression in HIV positive women who recently gave birth. Obviously they are depressed because they are dying, most likely gave their baby HIV, their husbands have already died of AIDS, and they live in poverty. There's a problem if they aren't feeling depressed!
  • Graham and Janice were talking about turning her proposal into a PhD. He told her that she should look at transgendered people in Thailand instead of Australia. (He's obsessed with Thailand) Apparently the transgender women are much prettier there. He said "If they're too pretty, they're not girls." Um.. ok? Can't there be pretty girls, too?
  • We took a class picture today. A bunch of people were missing, but at least now I can show everyone what Graham looks like. He got his hair cut, though. It's normally quite a bit longer. He's pointing at his "awesome" diagram that was supposed to show us something but no one ever understands his scribbles. (In the picture: Graham, Hui Ling, me, Janice, Winnon, Tegan)







After class, Janice and I went to civic. I had to get some stuff at the store and she wanted to go with me. First we went to Cotton On because there are these pants that she kept wanting to get every time that we walked past the store, but she never would get them. Then we went to Big W. I had to get shampoo and conditioner, but Janice told me not to get Pantene. Apparently it glows or something.

Then we went to SupaBarn. I had to get more vegetables and wings. Janice was so confused when I had a basket full of vegetables. I like zucchini and I'm kind of obsessed with asparagus at the moment. The ice cream was also on sale. Yay! I got two. Janice and I also asked about ordering a turkey. Neither of us had any idea of what the guy at the SupaBarn deli was talking about. We just asked at the poultry place right outside of SupaBarn. They said we just have to order a turkey three days ahead of time.

Then we went back home. I took a bit of a nap before eating dinner. By a bit of a nap, I really mean about an hour and a half. Oops. After dinner, I made my powerpoint for my qualitative presentation tomorrow. I'm hoping to edit my proposal before going to bed and that's about it for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment