I had such difficulty falling asleep last night. I was up late talking to Rohan because I hadn't talked to him in almost a week. I was really hyper because of that. I tend to get that way when it's the first time we've talked in a while. It was also daylight savings time, so we lost an hour last night. I also had a bunch of things running through my head. It had to have been around 5 by the time I actually fell asleep. (Which was kind of like 4 since the time changed) It was bad. The thing that finally got me to fall asleep was writing down everything that I was thinking about. It's like a page long. I realised that it's probably a good idea to have a notebook by my bed because this happens a lot.
I had set my alarm for 11:30, but I was WAY too tired when it went off. I reset it for 12:25. That went off and I attempted to wake up. Janice texted me if I wanted to go to the store with her, but I was still too tired. She told me to just go back to bed. I forgot to set an alarm that time and I didn't wake up until after 2. I didn't get out of bed until after 4. Even then, I only got out because I had to go to CIF. I'm still exhausted.
CIF was good. Owen was gone on family holiday, so Sam lead the talk. Before we actually got into the Bible verse, he had us talk at our table about what qualities a good king should have. We said things like good leadership and communication. Then Bron said he should be attractive and not have an annoying voice. This lead to some interesting things. Jo then asked about a Nazi that is attractive or a non-Nazi that's ugly. Bron then said that she would go with the non-Nazi. Some things are more important that looks, after all. Bron was also referring to Julia Gillard, the Aussie PM, and that she thinks she has a really annoying voice. Jo replied that she didn't think about that, but then again they don't have any annoying accents in Sri Lanka. (or something to that effect) To which I replied with Jo's normal comment of "That's racist!" Another comment of racism is when Sam mentioned a bunch of countries and he neglected to add Sri Lanka (and the US) to which Jo had to interject that it was racist. (It's a running joke with her and she doesn't actually take offence to anything she calls racist.)
People were teasing me during dinner because I barely ate anything. Also, everything there today was vegetarian, so we were talking about that. Apparently there aren't very many options in Australia for vegetarians because of the focus on meat in a meal. I think it's the same in America, although I'm not vegetarian, so I don't really think about it. Anyway, the funny thing was that Jo was talking about how Aussies almost always just boil their vegetables and there isn't much variety. She commented on the fact that I had gotten a few asparagus and I said that I like them but I've never actually cooked them. She said it was easy and I replied, yeah, don't you just boil them? I didn't even say that to be funny, that was just my response.
Then we had a short break before church. Then we went to church. At one point during the sermon, Marcus was talking about staying awake. He was mainly talking about people at the morning service, but said that if we have trouble staying awake we should have a "Nana nap for Jesus." It's important that we're actually attentive, not just that we're there. Anyway, I think I'll use that as my excuse for napping on Sunday afternoons. (That is when I don't already just wake up at 2 and get out of bed at 4...) Also, we sang some songs that I know from chapel at Hope and it made me happy to sing songs that remind me of Hope College.
Now I'm back and writing my blog. I had every intention to work on catching up with some of my indigenous class, but now I'm just exhausted and want to get to bed before I get my second wind and stay up until 5am again. Although if I go to bed now, I know I'll just wake up again in the middle of the night.
On a random side note: Today marks three months since I've been living here!
No comments:
Post a Comment