11 October 2012

Just Janice crap

I showered when I got up this morning and then it was time for my Bible study with Rohan. Since we weren't able to have it on Monday, we skyped this morning. The part that we discussed today has Rohan's favourite quote from the Bible, or at least one of his favourites. His translation of the Bible didn't have the exact wording that he wanted, so he went to Bible Gateway to look through the translations until he found it. Yeah, he's weird, but I love him anyway. (or is that because he's weird...?)

After our Bible study, I really had to get to class. I was presenting today. First we had a guest lecturer. Then we had a break. Then our group presented. We were actually assessed individually and we had our own papers. We were a group because we had an overall theme. Our theme was Type II diabetes in a global context. My paper was on the culture of the Middle East and why they have some of the highest rates of diabetes in the world. (As a group. They make up 6 of the top 10 countries. The other top countries are mostly islands in the western pacific.) My group also consisted of Janice, Greta, Ayush, and Monisha.

The presentation went pretty well. I wasn't too anxious about this one. I'm either REALLY anxious or not at all. There's no in between for me. I'm also pretty used to doing presentations since I had to do a lot during undergrad at Hope. I think I was just really worried about the one for Graham because he makes me nervous! Anyway, it went pretty well and I definitely caught the attention of some people that had fading attention spans. Consanguine marriages will do that to you!

After class, we stopped back at Janice's place quickly and then went to Bec's place.Actually we stopped by Chicken Gourmet before going to Bec's because we were hungry but it was raining and we didn't want to go to Civic but we had to get something to go so we could see Bec. She fell and needed Janice to come over to look at her wounds. There were some interesting things that came about as a result of this. I'll list them in a quotes section because there were good quotes all day.

When I got back, Janice texted me that the grades for our presentation were already online! I got a Distinction. According to how Hope was told to translate Australian grades, that would be the equivalent of an A- in the American grading system.

Quotes:

  • "just Janice crap"- So at the end of our presentation we were supposed to have an activity with a fictitious country and the class had to think of a policy. (That didn't happen because some people *coughJanicecough* went over time) When Janice was telling other people about what she came up with, she said it was "just Janice crap."
  • "It always rains on Thursday or Friday"- Ayush said this when we were walking back after class. It's true. It barely ever rains, but when it does, it seems like it's always on Thursday!
  • "ping ping? I thouht it was poong poong."- Yesterday, Graham was talking about machines that go "ping." I guess it's a quote from Monty Python. Anyway, today the guest lecturer referenced that too. I commented to Janice that it was funny that they both referred to that and she said that she thought Graham said poong poong yesterday.
  • "I'm a good anthropologist. I don't even need to use alcohol to get the truth."- Apparently Janice can get the truth out of Soo without getting her drunk first. Does this make her a better anthropologist than Graham?
  • "I feel your hands..."- Janice was moving Bec's hand around to make sure it wasn't too badly hurt from her fall. Janice told her to tell her if she felt anything. Bec's reply? "I feel your hands..."
  • Janice fell in a drain- We were sharing weird stories about scars and falling. Apparently Janice got a scar because she was talking to her friends and then fell into a drain. Not just a small drain, but one with the cover missing so she fell into a hole over that was deeper than she was tall! I'm not sure if there is anything funnier than that!
  • "I try not to so I can keep talking"- Bec is squeamish when Janice and I are talking about blood or some other health things, like bones sticking out of wounds. I asked Janice if she ever looks at Bec's face when she's talking because Bec always looks like she's going to be sick. Janice said that she tries not to so that she can keep talking. She's such a good friend, right?
  • "You have a big mouth; that's why you don't need your wisdom teeth removed."- Janice was having issues with her wisdom teeth coming in. Because of her health history, no dentist will remove her wisdom teeth. I told her that she doesn't need to have them removed because she has a big mouth. I mean she doesn't stop talking. (The bullet point above can be exhibit A.)
Also, today I heard from a lot of people that they were really glad that I shared my story about my struggles with mental health. I'm glad that I could share my story. It's one of the great things about my blog. I love to share my life story. Maybe that's why I am writing a memoir. (Although I only have one day finished; but it's already over 2000 words. It's going to be a LONG memoir; especially for a 22 year old!) Also, I bought a new album by Chris August last night. He's a Christian artist, although some of his songs are secular. I really liked this song because it really resonated with my struggles with depression. It's called The Upside of Down and is about how in hard times you grow closer to God. I've definitely felt this with my battles of depression. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrsJL_HlsAs 

No comments:

Post a Comment