14 November 2012

A lot happened considering I didn't even leave my flat!

Abstract:
wake up call; interview; sleep!; The Casual Vacancy; Brain Tumour Alliance Australia; boring daily stuff

I was writing my memoir last night, so I didn't get to sleep until late. Then when I tried to get to sleep, I couldn't because I kept thinking about more stuff to write. It was at least 3:30 by the time I finally fell asleep, but I made sure to set my alarm to 10:45 so that I could still sleep, but get up early enough in case I received a call today from the job where I applied.

On my application, I had listed my contact hours as after 10am because I know that I like to sleep in. Well, I got a call that woke me up before 9:30 from the guy from the tutoring job. He said that he knew it was before 10, but asked if we could talk now anyway. Obviously, I said yes. I was really tired but I couldn't just tell him that I wanted to sleep and I was already awake since he called!

The interview seemed to go well. He was intrigued by Quidditch. Yes, I have that on my resume. Some people might think that it's a bad thing to have, but I've heard from people in the IQA that it's actually a good thing and makes them stand out. Plus I was co-founder, which says I have leadership skills.

He also said I was a good candidate because obviously I have experience with tutoring from working at Upward Bound for over two years. I was just kind of worried about the whole transportation thing since I have to use public transportation. It seemed like it would be fine. Plus I didn't know if I would need a working with children check, but I did some research and the ACT doesn't have one legally required yet, so I should be fine that I don't have one yet.

He said that he was going to talk to his wife and then they wanted to actually meet me to make sure that I wasn't actually some crazy person or something. He hasn't called me back to set up a time yet, but he seemed like he wanted to hire me. He told me how much the job will pay, which was funny because he said that they try to keep the cost low for the tutorees, but the pay rate in still an Australian rate and is over 3.25 times more per hour than I got in America. He also asked when I would be able to tutor and stuff. He said that they may not have anything this semester, but they definitely will starting in February.

After the interview, I wanted to sleep again. I couldn't fall asleep for a long time, but I was exhausted. I hate when that happens. I tried playing games on my phone to fall asleep and then I read some of The Casual Vacancy. Reading usually does the trick. This time was no different.

Then I woke up again and I checked my email. I heard back from some other people about my future plans. I also went through a pattern of reading some more and then sleeping some more. I also got an email back from the Brain Tumour Alliance Australia. They don't really have a headquarters, but they invited me to the next meeting to meet me and figure out how I might be able to help.

I read some more again. The Casual Vacancy is getting pretty good, but I'm still not very far. It's kind of funny to read an adult book by JK Rowling. There are some things that the book talks about that you definitely would not find written explicitly in the Harry Potter series.

Then I ate dinner and watched some 7th Heaven. I have a really bad headache, so hopefully I can just shower and get to bed at a reasonable time.

On a side note, I also finished my first bottle of Frank's and I finished my scotcheroos. Sad day!

4 comments:

  1. Tell me about the future plan thingy!!!!!! i miss you Caitlin Roth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, I did tell you, Janice! (and that's all that I'm posting on here about it)

      Delete
  2. sorrrryyyyy!!! i meant the update!!

    ReplyDelete