29 November 2012

"Are you from Canada?" "No, I'm from this planet"

Abstract:
store; dress!;crap-my phone!; bus times; Canada is a different planet;maths hangman; getting paid; am I really that weak?; zoom zoom zoom, make my heart go boom boom, my supernova girl!

I knew I had to go to the store, so I made sure to actually wake up in the morning. I'm going to the beach with some friends tomorrow and I needed to at least get a beach towel. I went to Target and then I went to supabarn. Btw, grapes are now $8/kilo at supabarn. I feel so gypped! (but that's still more than IGA)

On my way home, I realised that I have a knack for going grocery shopping on the hottest day of the week. I just about died walking back in my capris and mid-arm length sleeved shirt. Luckily I only live 1km from the Canberra Centre! I was really tempted to just sit down in the lobby of Davey for a while because it has air con, but the flats don't. I may need to actually get a fan soon. I've been holding out so that it will feel better when the REALLY hot days come.

I went upstairs to eat some frozen grapes to cool down and changed into a dress. Now I know why Aussie girls seem to always be wearing dresses! They're so much cooler! Then I took a nap so I wouldn't fall asleep while tutoring.

I had to catch the bus to go tutor at 3:30ish. There aren't many buses that go to Kaleen, so that was the only one that would get be there by 4:20. I was actually there at 4ish. It was a lot simpler to get to the church than google maps made it seem. The bus stop was right in front of the Kaleen shopping centre and I could just walk straight through to the church.

On the way there, I realised that I forgot my phone back at home. I felt like I had something missing then. I kind of wondered if that's how amputees feel when they forget to put on their prosthetic limb. It was like a part of me was missing. It especially wasn't a good day to forget my phone since I had never been to this place. Luckily it turned out fine.

Because of the bus times, I actually got there before anyone else and the church was locked. I had to just wait outside, but at least I went in the shade. Then Michael and one of the other tutors came and helped me get settled in.

The tutoring is done in two one-hour sessions. I just had one kid in the first session and two during the second.

For the first session, I had a year 1 boy. When Michael was introducing me, he told the boy that he finally found someone with the same accent for him. I'm not really sure where he's from. We were reading a Magic School Bus book about making snow flakes and I asked him if he's ever seen snow before. He said that he's been to Canada. Then I asked if he was from Canada and he said no because he's from this planet, or something to that effect. It made me crack up inside! I guess he means that he's from Australia, so I'm not sure why he has an American accent. Also, it's really hard to teach a kid how to read and pronounce things when you have a different accent than he probably should be learning. Like the word been. In America, we would say it as ben, but in Australia it's pronounced like bean. He said it the American way when we were going through flashcards, so I didn't correct him. I figured as long as it was one way or the other.

For the second session, I had two girls. I think that they were both year 4, but their folders had the wrongs years or something. They were nice and kind of crazy. We worked on maths, mostly multiplying but some addition as well. We also took quite a few breaks, which is something that I'm not used to. Especially not when we only have an hour. Michael kept coming over to tell me to take a break, though. Whatever, it makes my job easier. At the end, we were playing hangman with maths equations.

It was a pretty good day of tutoring. Every time Michael introduced me to someone, he would say that I had more experience with tutoring than he has. Not really, he's a teacher! I only have 2-ish years. I guess that's more than most people, though. He kept saying that he didn't know how they got someone like me. Anyway, after the kids left, I filled out my TFN thingy for taxing and gave him my bank details so that I can get paid. They pay at the end of the month, so he wanted me to finish it today so that I could get paid this month instead of waiting.

Then I had a lot of time before the bus came. It only comes once an hour and the bus stop is right across the street from where I got dropped off, so I didn't have to search for it. I decided to go to supabarn at the Kaleen shopping centre to get something to drink. It was hot and I was thirsty.

So then I went to the bus stop to wait for the bus and I couldn't open my drink! Seriously, the seal thing would not break! I twisted it far enough up that the juice could escape, though. Only far enough that it could dump all over me. My hands were all sticky and I couldn't actually drink my juice. Then right before the bus came, it looked like I was making some process on opening it, but I had to put it away because you can't eat or drink on the bus.

I took the bus home. (On a side note, it was the first time that I took one the buses that looked like it was from the 50s and it was weird inside. The seats were like school buses instead of the separated ones on new buses.) Then I washed off my juice bottle and washed my hands. I ended up needing to use a knife to open that stupid thing. It was so frustrating.

I watched some tv online while I ate some leftover tortilla espanola. Then I decided that I wanted to watch "Zenon: girl of the 21st century." I love watching movies from when I was a kid because you pick up on things that you didn't when you were younger. For example, the band was called Microbe and the lead singer was Protozoa. How awesome and nerdy is that?

Now I'm just writing this and I'm going to go shower for a second time today so that I'll be able to sleep. I need to wake up early tomorrow to go the beach with my friends. The problems of living inland!

No comments:

Post a Comment