10 November 2012

I feel like a real Roth woman now!

Abstract:
Lots of sleep; butterscotch; the butterscotch tastes good!; clean room?; scotcheroos

I think there may be something wrong with me. I woke up at 1:15pm-ish. Then I read some of the Casual Vacancy. Then I was really tired and fell back asleep! I didn't wake up again until like 4:40. I need to set an alarm tomorrow!

Then I ate some "lunch" while I watched 7th Heaven. Then I made the butterscotch. Since I couldn't find butterscotch chips in the store, my mom found me a recipe online. I tried to make those. They were pretty easy. I just had to melt some stuff together and then add vanilla before pouring it in a pan to cool. Well, since I couldn't find shortening and it already called for butter, I used lard. The shortening alternatives website I found said to use slightly less lard than you would shortening, so I tried that. It looked fine until I poured it into the pan. It didn't really look mixed any more. I tried to just mix it on the pan a little before putting it in the fridge. The butter looked like it was separating and pooling on the edges, though.

I put it in the fridge and hoped for the best. I watched some 7th Heaven and showered while I waited for my butterscotch to cool. I tried a little bit while it was still cooling and to my surprise, it tasted like butterscotch! I'm still trying to get over the concept that you can just make things instead of always using pre-made stuff in a box. I'm getting there. It's a long process. The smell also reminded me of Windmill Island and it made me happy. I think it was partly the smell and partly that it kind of had a fudge-like consistency.

Then I cleaned my room a bit. It's still pretty messy, but it's progress. I also took a nap because I had a big headache. I didn't actually sleep, but laying down and having the light off really helped.

Then I made the scotcheroos. I don't think that anything else in the world can make you feel more like a Roth woman! No Roth family gathering is complete without scotcheroos and everyone knows my grandma's infamous scotcheroo tin. My mom has one too. I think that I need to get one!

Making them wasn't too bad until I got to the part where I melt the butterscotch and chocolate chips together. They looked disgusting and I was confused what happened. Then I realised that it was because the butterscotch was made instead of bought in chips. The butter melted back away separately, so there was weird liquid. Well that ended up being weird and the liquid went through the rice bubbles part while the chocolatey-stuff stayed on top. The top layer looks disgusting, but I'm sure it will taste fine. Hopefully. I haven't eaten them yet.


1 comment: